Hello in 2018 and Thank You to the developers of this game

Anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
will_the_canuck

Hello in 2018 and Thank You to the developers of this game

Post by will_the_canuck »

Well, it seems that this forum hasn't been used in some time so I just wanted to say hello to everyone in 2018. :D And to the developers of bygfoot, a thank you. It has helped waste my time, or was that help me pass the time, and it is fun to play.

I came across this game just before Christmas of 2017 when I was looking online for the old dos game which I believe was called soccer manager, or something like that, where basically you managed an Italian team in a league and such, which was all text based. I am playing this in Lubuntu Linux and using version 2.3.2, which I found in the Ubuntu Software Repositories. I'm also using this on a netbook, which has a resolution of 1024x600, and in all honesty, I can play the game well enough, which is nice to know.

I do have some questions and/or concerns about some gameplay and will ask them in the future, but for now, I just wanted to say thank you to the developers as the game is fun to play and yeah, time can fly when you're playing. :lol:

Will
gunnar
Site Admin

Re: Hello in 2018 and Thank You to the developers of this ga

Post by gunnar »

Happy 2018.

I was actually locked out of the forum, and since the mailing system stopped working, I couldn't reset my password ;-)
I really need to get this show started again, but still don't have much time. I still coordinate a small futsal competition locally, play. And meddle with the youth academy at the club off my son.
But first, I should revive the forum by making it send mails again.
will_the_canuck

gunnar wrote:Happy 2018.

I was actually locked out of the forum, and since the mailing system stopped working, I couldn't reset my password ;-)
I really need to get this show started again, but still don't have much time. I still coordinate a small futsal competition locally, play. And meddle with the youth academy at the club off my son.
But first, I should revive the forum by making it send mails again.
Hey Gunnar.

Well, as your reply to my original post is nearing 9 months old, I did want to reply to it at least. I'll say that for 2018, it has been ok. And as for getting this show started again, well, it depends on the users and whether or not they are playing the game and/or wanting to visit and respond to this forum here. I think a note for the people wanting to sign up for this forum is that after they register, they have to e-mail an administrator to get added to the system which will actually allow them to post to the forum. I read the posts and found gyboth's posting on that. :) And as for the forum sending mails again, does that mean it would send me an e-mail if someone posted a reply to my posts or someone sent me a private message on here? If so, cool, since I may not check back for some time and it would be nice to know if anyone posted a reply at least.

As for your participation in local football events and clubs, that does sound cool. I hope you're having fun doing it and that the clubs and events you're participating in are doing well. And as for you not having much time, that can be a good thing since you're busy with life, right? :)

For now, take care and have fun,

will_the_canuck
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

will_the_canuck wrote: As for your participation in local football events and clubs, that does sound cool. I hope you're having fun doing it and that the clubs and events you're participating in are doing well. And as for you not having much time, that can be a good thing since you're busy with life, right? :)
I would rather work on the game though, social interaction scares me ;-)
will_the_canuck

gunnar wrote:
will_the_canuck wrote: As for your participation in local football events and clubs, that does sound cool. I hope you're having fun doing it and that the clubs and events you're participating in are doing well. And as for you not having much time, that can be a good thing since you're busy with life, right? :)
I would rather work on the game though, social interaction scares me ;-)
HAHAHA!!! Sorry. I just couldn't resist laughing at what you said. As for you rather wanting to work on the game than socializing, that is good to hear as I think there are a few more "bugs" that might need correcting or addressed in the code which may not be properly addressed yet in the "Bugs" section. Although I'm a little curious gunnar since you also help out at the youth academy and all. Have you ever introduced this game to your kids that are yours or that you are in charge of, since they likely like football too? Although yes, the definitions can likely use an update since it has maybe been 10 years or more for some, but otherwise, the game is still the game and they might enjoy it a little. Or you can have competitions with it, as there is a multi-player option and all, right? Or rather, managing multiple users on the same computer/game and all? Or ever try it with your son and see who is better? :) Might be fun. *grin* Especially if he wins and you were the one that actually helped develop it. hahaha. By getting others to try it, it might be a good way to receive feedback on it and all.

As I said, there are a few bugs which can use addressing and even the win32 version can use a recompiling, but I'll ask about that another time, when I get to sit down and actually use the win32 version on the computer downstairs, which runs Windows XP. Ultimately, if I'm able to gather all of the necessary files and compile it myself for the win32 version, that would be something that I can use to then hopefully debug and test and maybe see if I can try to resolve some of the issues also. But again, I'll ask about that later. There are a few components to list and research needs to be done on that. :)

Again, thanks for the laugh as your comment truly was funny. Now, if you have enough time with your son when you two can play bygfoot for yourselves, I'd say challenge him to it and see who's better. It might be fun.

will_the_canuck
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

Most of those issues probably stem from the fact we're using an old version of gtk which is not really supported anymore.
I once started on a rewrite in java, but never finished it, but I should start with it again.

About playing it with kids, my son is mildly intrigued by the game, but still thinks it stupid. Trying to explain to kids what the game is about is very difficult. They can't grasp why you won't play Fortnite.
billys_boots

Post by billys_boots »

gunnar wrote:Most of those issues probably stem from the fact we're using an old version of gtk which is not really supported anymore.
I once started on a rewrite in java, but never finished it, but I should start with it again.

About playing it with kids, my son is mildly intrigued by the game, but still thinks it stupid. Trying to explain to kids what the game is about is very difficult. They can't grasp why you won't play Fortnite.
If Bygfoot had lots of flashy animation and loud noises then your kids would take to it. It is an unfortunate fact of life for kids and younger people that playing a game such as Bygfoot no longer appeals to most gamers these days whereas randomly shooting zombies for no reason than to just shoot zombies is seen as challenging and fun.