Argentina and Mexico

Forum devoted to country/league/cup/team definition topics. You can also get help here if you have trouble writing or using a definition.
chunter
definitions team

Argentina and Mexico

Post by chunter »

Experimentation has shown me that I can get the two-seasons-per-year format of Argentina working by defining Apertura and Clausura as cups with a single round-robin round and home-away set to 0.

I haven't attempted messing with promotion and relegation, or even defining the lower leagues yet.

The bigger issue is that if I define the season as two cups and create a league with a <active>0</active> line, Bygfoot will assume that the transfer deadline has passed because there is never an active league. Better hope the youth squad is really good!

Now, if other annual competitions are omitted from the definition, it becomes possible to deliberately define a season with only 26 weeks in it.

It sounds like this is a balancing act between realism and making the game definitions easy to program, and in turn, keeping the game easy to play and understand, versus designing a realistic definition, which will never be perfect because the organizations in question keep changing their rules.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
gyboth
Site Admin

Re: Argentina and Mexico

Post by gyboth »

i'm pretty sure i've already answered this post... i wonder where my answer's gone.
chunter wrote:The bigger issue is that if I define the season as two cups and create a league with a <active>0</active> line, Bygfoot will assume that the transfer deadline has passed because there is never an active league. Better hope the youth squad is really good!
i'll take care of that next week-end. i hadn't thought of this problem when i added that feature (for the WC definition, in which transfers are switched off anyway).
It sounds like this is a balancing act between realism and making the game definitions easy to program, and in turn, keeping the game easy to play and understand, versus designing a realistic definition, which will never be perfect because the organizations in question keep changing their rules.
as a matter of fact, a lot of definitions are very accurate and reflect the real structures for most countries perfectly. it's only those insane (south)american countries that are hard to implement (and keep changing their rules).
Any thoughts are appreciated.
thoughts on what?

oh, and i've added a <delay> tag to cup rounds in cvs. you can try it out if you want, to make a cup final occur a week later (or earlier, if you use <delay>-1</delay>). you just have to take care the round doesn't overlap with the previous one (e.g. <delay>-4</delay> in a cup with week_gap 4), i don't have a safeguard against that (yet).

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

btw, if you've got icq or jabber we could discuss definitions a bit easier, provided our timezones overlap somewhat.

gyözö
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

i'll take care of that next week-end. i hadn't thought of this problem when i added that feature (for the WC definition, in which transfers are switched off anyway).
I had a feeling about that. I found a slight workaround in having the Clausura (later season) be played as a league and the Apertura (earlier season) played as a cup, but it makes the tables come out dodgy.
as a matter of fact, a lot of definitions are very accurate and reflect the real structures for most countries perfectly. it's only those insane (south)american countries that are hard to implement (and keep changing their rules).
An interesting concept that I don't expect you to implement, because I wouldn't want to have to maintain it either: What if the XML files that define your season are read in again at the end of every year, so you can change the rules in midstream and keep your team? Hard disks around the world are filling with core dumps just from the thought...

I started playing with the definitions to see what they can do because the existing definitions are good... just wanted to make sure I didn't give the wrong impression.
oh, and i've added a <delay> tag to cup rounds in cvs. you can try it out if you want, to make a cup final occur a week later (or earlier, if you use <delay>-1</delay>). you just have to take care the round doesn't overlap with the previous one (e.g. <delay>-4</delay> in a cup with week_gap 4), i don't have a safeguard against that (yet).
Nice! It does what you intended, I think, though using the tag more than once seems to make them be added together and used on all the subsequent rounds. I made a 200-week year on accident... I'll keep playing with the tag to find out more about what it can and can't do.
btw, if you've got icq or jabber we could discuss definitions a bit easier, provided our timezones overlap somewhat.
Name a Jabber server and then I'll register for it.
thoughts on what?
Everything. :wink: Thanks, of course.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

chunter wrote:An interesting concept that I don't expect you to implement, because I wouldn't want to have to maintain it either: What if the XML files that define your season are read in again at the end of every year, so you can change the rules in midstream and keep your team? Hard disks around the world are filling with core dumps just from the thought...
"you" in this case would mean the user, and i don't think your average user is willing to tweak xml files at the end of each season. or did i misunderstand?
I started playing with the definitions to see what they can do because the existing definitions are good... just wanted to make sure I didn't give the wrong impression.
oh, thanks :-)
Nice! It does what you intended, I think, though using the tag more than once seems to make them be added together and used on all the subsequent rounds. I made a 200-week year on accident... I'll keep playing with the tag to find out more about what it can and can't do.
really? i just made a few quick tests, and it worked as expected. a cup round got delayed without affecting the previous or coming rounds. by 'more than once' you mean in more than one cup round, right?
Name a Jabber server and then I'll register for it.
oh, just take one that's close to you to minimise connection problems. have a look at this list.
Everything. :wink: Thanks, of course.
oh, you're welcome. the definition system is my pet more than any other part of the game, and i enjoy discussing and improving it (while taking care it doesn't get overloaded, of course).

gyözö
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

i've added a few more features to the definition system:
  • there's a new cup property 'weak_at_home'. if set, the teams from lower leagues will always play at home against teams from higher leagues if it's a one-match cup round
  • in league def files you can set a <break>4</break> value to have a custom break (4 weeks in this case) between round robins (e.g. for a winter break)
i've also updated the definition howtos and i've taken care of that transfer deadline bug.

gyözö
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

I haven't tested anything yet (long evening) but it all looks good, I'll hopefully try tomorrow...

I just wanted to let you know that I registered on Jabber (at least I think I did) as chunter16@jabber.org.