new definitions for Europe

Forum devoted to country/league/cup/team definition topics. You can also get help here if you have trouble writing or using a definition.
tommasi

new definitions for Europe

Post by tommasi »

Hi there,

I've made a lot of definitions for European leagues, so I was wondering if (and where) I could send them. I've also been trying to make better, more realistic cup files for UCL and the UEFA Cup, where I've run into some issues, though. It'd be great to get those files in order, and maybe for the benefit of other players too, if they care about a more complete Eurocup. And the other leagues in the game would make for a lot more diverse football landscape.

If you want them, I'd be glad to submit them.

EDIT: I just saw the post in the development forum about the new version and its additions. I've got some of those countries too (done by myself, and with the help of UEFA.com and Wikipedia etc.) but plenty of others too. Not trying to copy anybody here, just happenstance or something.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

The problems you found might still be there. If you have changes, you can send them to gunnar@bygfoot.com
tommasi

Post by tommasi »

Okay, will do.
tommasi

about the UEFA Cup file

Post by tommasi »

It occurred to me later that there's something essential missing in the cup_europe_uefa.xml file I sent you. Since national cup winners also participate in it, there should obviously be an entry in <choose_teams> with CUP1. Of course, the question remains where to add it. I don't know if you've been able to resolve the issue with the different rounds and teams to add. I sure haven't conjured up any trick to fit them all in without a salvo of error messages.

I did notice in the first official round of the UEFA Cup (i.e. 3rd cup round) that when you reduce the number of new teams (those that should be coming from the UCL 3rd round) from 16 to 12 or 10, then there'll be new teams in that round, but they won't be from the UCL losers but from the league in which you play. Quite weird (and ridiculous) to see 10 teams from one country occupying the playing field.

I hope the package I sent last week arrived safe and sound, as I haven't heard anything since then.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

What is it exactly that you have problems with? And could you send me your defs, too? (gyboth bygfoot com). Maybe I can improve the def system so that it accomodates the current (bloated and diluted and weird, but there we go) Euro cup system.
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
gunnar
Site Admin

Re: about the UEFA Cup file

Post by gunnar »

tommasi wrote:I hope the package I sent last week arrived safe and sound, as I haven't heard anything since then.
:oops: that means I forgot to reply then. My bad
tommasi

Post by tommasi »

No harm done. You just can't be sure if mail comes through these days.

gyboth,

sure I can send the same package (along with my lengthy and necessary explanations) if you wanna take a look. Most of it should be clear cos I've written new country definitions on top of existing, functioning files, but it's the Eurocup files (UCL and UEFA) that need to be improved. I wanted to create cups with a bit more resemblance to the actual system, but hit a wall :?. Maybe you (and other experts around) can deliver with better results.
ircarrascal
definitions team

Post by ircarrascal »

i tried to create UCL and UEFA cup definitions as realistic as possible but hit a wall as well. Mainly the problem is that you can't make teams from one cup go to the other one if the "group" key is used. This is what happens to the third place teams in each UCL group, right? They go to UEFA cup ... I think that was the case last year and maybe this year too. Anyway, if you can live without that I don't see any problems. Also, since you need a lot more teams for realistic cups you'll have to increase the number of teams in the short_league files, although I've seen that there are some new ones so maybe this won't be such a big deal.
chunter
definitions team

Post by chunter »

I think the original intent was to get the "classic" Champions and Cup Winners' Cup working, which did not transfer teams between each other, before delving into the problem you're describing now.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

As a matter of fact, I simply preferred the classic system to the new one (when I wrote the current defs system, there was already a new system in place in Europe).

On the other hand, tommasi is absolutely right when he points out that the old system has been used a decade ago, so revamping the defs is really warranted. And ircarrascal is right about having to extend the current Bygfoot capabilities, so that's what I'd like to do as soon as I figure out (preferably with a little help from you) what exactly has to be added.

Now, before you go thinking I'm back a a regular developer, I'm not ;-) I just happen to have some unexpected free time on my hands right now, and Gunnar taking over the project reignited some of the old fire.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

ircarrascal wrote:Mainly the problem is that you can't make teams from one cup go to the other one if the "group" key is used.
I've added an option

Code: Select all

<skip_group_check>1</skip_group_check>
to choose_team. If you set this to 1 (default is 0), the check you mention is skipped for the particular choose_team. Does this solve the problem for the CL->UEFA transition? You can try it out with the SVN version.

I'm not sure if the checking is really needed at all for later cup rounds. Maybe the option is unnecessary and I should just disable checking after the first round? I'm not that all-knowing about the implementation and intentions behind the whole system anymore...