Idea for a better transfer algorithm

Discussions about the internal structures of the game. You can also post here if you'd like to know how things really work (and don't know how to read C code).
BIG2

Idea for a better transfer algorithm

Post by BIG2 »

I've been playing Bygfoot for a while now, and I'm very impressed with the amount of features for an open-source game. I hope that the following advice will make the game even more realistic in relation to the financial side of the game.

At present, I think that the transfer values (and consequently the wages and attendance) are too high, particularly in the lower leagues. For instance, I played a game in the French CFA2 and the club I was managing had attendances around the 6,000 mark. Given that a club in the French National 2 tiers above it would be very lucky to get such a high attendance in real life, I thought it would be a good idea to analyse how the transfer values were calculated and suggest amendments to make it more realistic.

At the moment, the transfer value of a player is calculated like this (I am aware that other factors are taken into account like age, but that wouldn't affect my suggestion):

Value = (.65Skill+.35Talent)^3.5

I suggest changing this to:

Value = ((.65Skill+.35Talent)^2/100)^3.5

I would also propose increasing the power slightly from 3.5 to maybe 3.6 or 3.7.

The result is that the financial data looks much more realistic for lower leagues. Say in the English League 1 for example:
Before: 2,592,873
After: 672,299

It could be argues that it should be even lower, however I think this is a good start. I would implement this myself, however Java is my main language and am not very familiar with C. Any and all feedback welcome.
gunnar
Site Admin

Re: Idea for a better transfer algorithm

Post by gunnar »

Actually I'm pretty sure that as a java developper, you should be able to do this. I know this from first hand experience. I will look into it, but I don't know when yet. it's a very busy moment at the daytime job and all the rest is taken up by the soccer team where I coach 7 year olds and I am also responsible for all youth teams. Furthermore our team is merging with another team, so Bygfoot is on the back burner for me. I can help you to fix it and patch the code. I'm available on skype and google xmmp.
BIG2

Post by BIG2 »

Right, I've downloaded a C compiler and I will start implementing the algorithm. I will upload the fixed code here.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

Patches are better sent to the patch tracker at https://sourceforge.net/p/bygfoot/patches/new/ For this you need a sourceforge login.

You should have received a pm from me.
BIG2

Post by BIG2 »

OK, I've now uploaded the patches onto source forge.
gunnar
Site Admin

Post by gunnar »

How did you generate the patch file? I'm having trouble using them. I'm on a Linux machine, which propably explains most of my issues
BIG2

Post by BIG2 »

I used VPatch, and my OS is Windows.

I've uploaded a new version onto SF.
BIG2

Post by BIG2 »

I've rejigged the code a bit and regenerated the file and put it up on SF. Hopefully this time it will work.
BIG2

Post by BIG2 »

If anyone else wants to have a go at compiling it, the new file is here:
player.c
Player file with upated transfer algorithm
(49.02 KiB) Downloaded 213 times