Season objective

Discussions about the internal structures of the game. You can also post here if you'd like to know how things really work (and don't know how to read C code).
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:I downloaded the bygfoot-update ontop of the current ver 5.0 that i had.
version 5.0 ? :shock: i only know of versions smaller than 1.9...
cvs checkout: warning: failed to open /home/mark/.cvspass for reading: No such file or directory
this isn't a problem, it doesn't affect anything.
I then make all-recursive
then make install(as root)
renamed .bygfoot
and ran bygfoot.
this worked? i thought one has to do a ./autogen.sh followed by ./configure before one can make anything.
im just not sure how to check if anything has changed?
Its coming up as 1.7.3 as expected.
but after looking thru various files I couldnt find a 'whats changed"
ChangeLog was still 11/23/2004: v1.7.3
you could make a diff to compare the c files. but the cvs isn't very different compared to the official 1.7.3 release, because i've been working on 1.9 and didn't have the time to change a lot. i'm going to add geovah's patch soon, though, and there were also a couple of minor fixes i wanted to add.
In my code I have a little file called ver.c which is generally a bunch of notes I write to myself.
1) to remind me of what im working on
2) to use as a history when someone says ver 3.4 worked but 3.6 didnt. I check my ver (which has even the slightest changes noted) and realise that in 3.5 I did such n such which has made an effect elswhere.
hm.. i'm not sure i'm orderly enough do follow your example ;-)
Please excuse me as I get up to speed and we produce a system that I can target testing and report on changes.
erm... sorry but i didn't understand this. is it maybe ozzie-slang? :-)

gyözö
Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

i've run a quick test with the patched version and here are some observations:
  • the message with the season objective pops up just fine. nevertheless i'd suggest to randomize the week when it happens, e.g. between 5 and 10 to make things more interesting and unpredictable.
  • there is a problem when you get fired because of something else. the season objective remains the same; it should be cancelled and if it's not too late in the season (e.g. before week 18 or 20) a new objective should be calculated.
  • there's also a problem when you get promoted or relegated. as far as i could see, the objective gets checked at the beginning of the new season. but when you get promoted, you suddenly have rank 22 or so, so the objective isn't achieved if it was something like 'finish better than rank 15' -- although you finished 2nd or so. i suppose it's the same with getting relegated, though i didn't check.
  • the objective wasn't achieved and i got fired also when i had to be promoted and i was promoted -- quite a bug ;-)
  • we should show the current objective somewhere. this would be my task, i suppose, as well as doing the save/load part.
  • i've seen some 'gettext("blabla")' in the code. are you sure this gets extracted properly by gettext to be translated?
  • i've seen an 'int' in the code. please take care to use the GLib types, ie. 'gint' in this case.
the patch is in the cvs now, along with some minor fixes (not concerning your code, geovah) by me. if you correct the bugs from above you should be able to submit it to the cvs directly.

btw, wouldn't you like to have an avatar image (like snoopy for me or the football player for vector)?

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

Please excuse me as I get up to speed and we produce a system that I can target testing and report on changes.

erm... sorry but i didn't understand this. is it maybe ozzie-slang? Smile
Im just saying it will take a while before we have an understanding or system of (you send me an update with documented change notes so I can test and report back)

ie your working on your documentation skills
and im working on my reading C and gettign the cvs update skills.
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
vector

Post by vector »

vector wrote:I downloaded the bygfoot-update ontop of the current ver 5.0 that i had.
[quote='gyboth"]version 5.0 ? :shock: i only know of versions smaller than 1.9...[/quote]
Sorry I refer to the 13th line in the update sh
# version number
version="0.6"

I assumed this indicated the "build" version or something?
should this not be reflected somewhere in the game to indicate the latest "build" of the source is running.
vector wrote:I then make all-recursive
then make install(as root)
renamed .bygfoot
and ran bygfoot.
gyboth wrote: this worked? i thought one has to do a ./autogen.sh followed by ./configure before one can make anything.
I didnt know this.
I could not find autogen.sh allthough it is in the list of files on the terminal window where I ran the bygfoot-update. Im just not sure where it put it.

I did however ignore the ./configure stage last time because I havent changed my enviroment (just downloaded some patchs from you and didnt think it was neccessary) so this time I did it.

NOTE I had to be root to run ./configure. your install page indicates that only make install need be done as root.

I still have no indication however, that the patchs have worked or what they are.
"There are two ways to score. Dribble it over the line or smash it into the back of the net."
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:Im just saying it will take a while before we have an understanding or system of (you send me an update with documented change notes so I can test and report back)
all right, we'll do it this way. but i won't be working on 1.7 anymore (at least not adding new features), so maybe it's rather up to geovah to tell us when he implements something new. up to now there's only the season objective thing.
vector wrote: Sorry I refer to the 13th line in the update sh
# version number
version="0.6"

I assumed this indicated the "build" version or something?
no, that's just the version of the update script itself.
should this not be reflected somewhere in the game to indicate the latest "build" of the source is running.
i don't think it's necessary; the current cvs version is simply the version that'll become 1.7.4 eventually.
gyboth wrote:this worked? i thought one has to do a ./autogen.sh followed by ./configure before one can make anything.
I didnt know this.
I could not find autogen.sh allthough it is in the list of files on the terminal window where I ran the bygfoot-update. Im just not sure where it put it.

I did however ignore the ./configure stage last time because I havent changed my enviroment (just downloaded some patchs from you and didnt think it was neccessary) so this time I did it.
hm... the update script has four main modes (the ones you can select right in the beginning). did you take 'download CVS version'? (that's option 4). if you choose that one, the script downloads a whole directory 'bygfoot-unstable' (or bygfoot2-unstable, if you take the 1.9 branch) to the temp dir you specified, and 'autogen.sh' should be in that dir. you maybe downloaded the source package instead (option 2) or a patch for your source package (option 1)? those would've been the wrong choices...
NOTE I had to be root to run ./configure. your install page indicates that only make install need be done as root.
that's really not how it should be. but i don't know what's wrong, everything fine on my system.
I still have no indication however, that the patchs have worked or what they are.
i really believe you chose the wrong option... you probably took 'update your package with patches', ie. option 1. but that's the wrong one, it's only that i sometimes upload patches to the server in between official releases, so that people using the source package can update earlier; that's what that option's for. but you should take 'download cvs' of course.

as to geovah's new feature: at week 6 you get told by your team manager what the season objective is (popup window). if you fail to fullfill the requirement, you get fired at the end of the season. but it's still rather buggy i believe ;-)

gyözö

gyözö
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

i've added save/load for the season objective. i'd say it won't cause problems with old savegames, but i might be wrong.

i've also added the possibility to disable zip compression for savegames.

(vector: you don't have to download the complete cvs repository, you just have to type 'cvs update -dP' in the 'bygfoot-unstable' directory that you downloaded earlier and recompile.)

merry christmas to all :!: :-D

gyözö
vector

Post by vector »

Gyboth
We should really move this cvs and update topic elsewhere, as admin can you do this? Grab all the posts related to me getting the latest update and shift them to there own spot.

Anyway
Im a little confused. Not very familiar with cvs. Used it once on a job and really didnt come to terms with it. We are currently converting over to Darcs. However be that as it may Ill follow your instructions.

My confusion falls between bygfoot-update -b and your mention of cvs update -dP' in the 'bygfoot-unstable' directory what exactly am I doing, should I be doing? Ill write this up in the twiki, once Im clear, for others to follow.

:roll:

ok I assumed i have to use cvs,instead of bygfoot-update to get the latest and to get in touch with the developers versions so Im wading thru
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_d ... group_id=1
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=46139

after some reading I tried
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bygfoot login
and "hit enter key" when asked for password
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/bygfoot
CVS password:
cvs login: warning: failed to open /home/mark/.cvspass for reading: No such file or directory

however i did it again and just got my linux prompt. I wasnt sure what was suposed to happen next. tho.

Could you please give me a number of instructions on how to set it up.
I do have "cvs" itself installed
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:We should really move this cvs and update topic elsewhere, as admin can you do this?
i didn't find a possibility but let's just create a new topic in 'help'.

gyözö
GeoVah

Post by GeoVah »

First, merry christmas to all !!!
gyboth wrote:i've run a quick test with the patched version and here are some observations:
  • the message with the season objective pops up just fine. nevertheless i'd suggest to randomize the week when it happens, e.g. between 5 and 10 to make things more interesting and unpredictable.
  • there is a problem when you get fired because of something else. the season objective remains the same; it should be cancelled and if it's not too late in the season (e.g. before week 18 or 20) a new objective should be calculated.
  • there's also a problem when you get promoted or relegated. as far as i could see, the objective gets checked at the beginning of the new season. but when you get promoted, you suddenly have rank 22 or so, so the objective isn't achieved if it was something like 'finish better than rank 15' -- although you finished 2nd or so. i suppose it's the same with getting relegated, though i didn't check.
  • the objective wasn't achieved and i got fired also when i had to be promoted and i was promoted -- quite a bug ;-)
  • we should show the current objective somewhere. this would be my task, i suppose, as well as doing the save/load part.
  • i've seen some 'gettext("blabla")' in the code. are you sure this gets extracted properly by gettext to be translated?
  • i've seen an 'int' in the code. please take care to use the GLib types, ie. 'gint' in this case.
the patch is in the cvs now, along with some minor fixes (not concerning your code, geovah) by me. if you correct the bugs from above you should be able to submit it to the cvs directly.

btw, wouldn't you like to have an avatar image (like snoopy for me or the football player for vector)?

gyözö
Ok, no problem.
I will correct all ... maybe before 2005 if I found the time :-P
Geovah - geovah@jabber.sk- (yes i'm french...)
vector

Post by vector »

I realise your still working on the main code but put on your todo list .

The season objective should be an option
maybe in the right pane of options/Look&feel.

I dont like it that much as it dictates to me how I want to play the game.

I may for example want to slowly build a good strong team, not rocket to the top. I have played at the lower leagues and made it to Rank 1 of that league in one season but the team is broke and full of injuries. Its far better to slowly build over a few seasons so when you do get promoted the team is in a strong financial and skill position. Having a popup tell me I have to make it to Rank 3 defeats this.

Mind you its probably closer to the reality of football administration :D
What type are you?
gyboth
Site Admin

Post by gyboth »

vector wrote:The season objective should be an option
maybe in the right pane of options/Look&feel.
yes, i was planning to make it one, too. i'm going to add it to the list.

gyözö